Monday, August 21st, 2017
Advertisements
Advertisements

Donald Trump’s state visit to Britain put on hold

Published on June 12, 2017 by   ·   No Comments


Monday June 12, 2017

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

The call was made in recent weeks, according to a Downing Street adviser who was in the room. The statement surprised May, according to those present.

The conversation in part explains why there has been little public discussion about a visit.

May invited Trump to Britain seven days after his inauguration when she became the first foreign leader to visit him in the White House. She told a joint press conference she had extended an invitation from the Queen to Trump and his wife Melania to make a state visit later in the year and was “delighted that the president has accepted that invitation”.

Many senior diplomats, including Lord Ricketts, the former national security adviser, said the invitation was premature, but impossible to rescind once made.

Trump has named Woody Johnson, a Republican donor and owner of the New York Jets, as the new ambassador to the UK but has yet to nominate him formally. A large number of US ambassadorial positions remain unfilled worldwide largely due to the Trump team failing to make any formal nominations.

The acting US ambassador to the UK, Lewis Lukens, a career diplomat, clashed with Trump last week by praising Sadiq Khan, the London mayor, for his strong leadership over the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attack.

His remarks came just days after Trump criticised Khan for his response to the attack, misquoting the mayor’s message to Londoners not to be alarmed by the increased presence of armed police.

Khan’s office pointed out Trump’s error later but the president responded by accusing London’s mayor of making a “pathetic excuse”. Khan then called on the UK government to cancel Trump’s invitation. No date had been fixed for the visit.

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, said on Twitter that Trump’s decision was “welcome, especially after his attack on London’s mayor & withdrawal from #ParisClimateDeal.”

A Downing Street spokeswoman said it would not comment. “We aren’t going to comment on speculation about the contents of private phone conversations. The Queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans.”

The White House said in statement: “The President has tremendous respect for Prime Minister May. That subject never came up on the call.”

Jenna Johnson, a Washington Post reporter tweeted to say that the White House press secretary had told her the Guardian’s report was “false” but added that the White House “won’t say when Trump plans to go to the UK”.

Later, The New York Times, citing two unnamed administration officials, reported that Trump was considering scrapping or postponing the trip. The officials stressed that he might yet “warm to the idea” but that keeping it off the schedule was the best approach.

The UK’s traditional effort to act as a bridge between the US and Europe has become more complex since the vote last year to leave the European Union and Trump’s support for policies that have angered European allies.

The Foreign Office was disappointed when against its pleading Trump went ahead earlier this month with his plan to pull the US out of the Paris climate accord. The UK had lobbied hard for Trump not to take the decision, which has led to a wider break between the EU and the US.

Trump had been an advocate of Brexit, and at one point seemed to want the EU to break up, but confidence has since returned to the bloc with pro-European Emmanuel Macron’s victory over far-right Marine Le Pen in the French presidential election

Wixii Faahfaahin Dheeraad Ah Nagala Soo Xiriir

hiranweyn@gmail.com

makaran@hiiraanweyn.net

radiohiranweyn@gmail.com

Readers Comments (0)




TOOS U DHAGEYSO RADIO HIRANWEYN

Hiran Media Center

latest News

Xildhibaan Qoono “Mowqifka Xukuumadda qaadatay waa mid lagu deg degay oo fudeed ku jiro”

August, 20, 2017
Xildhibaan Maxamed Xasan Qoono oo ka mid ah Xildhibaanada Baarlamaanka Federaalka ayaa dhaliilay mowqifka Xukuumadda Soomaaliya ka qaadatay ...

Al-Shabaab oo si rasmi ah u xaqiijisay geeridii Sheekh Cali Jabal

August, 20, 2017
Xarakada Al-Shabaab ayaa markii uga  horeysay si rasmi ah u xaqiijisay geeridii Sheekh Cali Maxamed Xuseen (Sheekh Cali ...

(Daawo sawirada) Maxay ka wada hadleen madaxweyne Farmaajo iyo Al-sisi

August, 20, 2017
Madaxweyne Maxamed Cabdullaahi Farmaajo ayaa ku sugan magaalada Qaahira ee dalka Masar, halkaas oo ay uga bilaabatay booqasho ...

Lix ruux oo ku dhimatay dagaal ka dhacay duleedka Cadaado

August, 20, 2017
in ka badan lix ruux ayaa ku dhimatay halka tiro ka badan 20 kalan ay ku dhawacmeen kadib ...

Madaxweyne Xaaf oo sheegay in Galmudug ay Difaaceyso Shacabka Reer Xeraale

August, 20, 2017
Madaxweynaha Galmudug Axmed Ducaale Geelle Xaaf ayaa Maanta Magaalada Cadaado kula Shiray Baarlamaanka Maamulka Galmudug,waxaana ay ka wada ...

{DAAWO MUQAALKA} Sida Uu Madaxweyne Cosoble Uga Soo Horjeestay Go aanka Dowlada

August, 20, 2017
Cali Cabdulaahi Cosoble oo ay dhowaan xilka ka qaadeen xildhibaanada baarlamaanka Hirshabelle ayaa sheegay in uusan xoog ku ...

Madaxweyne ku xigeenka Puntland oo Digniin adag u diray Somaliland

August, 20, 2017
Madaxweyne ku xigeenka Puntland C/xakiin Xaaji Cumar Camey ayaa sheegay in Puntland ay ka hortagayso in deeganada lagu ...