The Ugandan military has confirmed its soldiers killed three Somali soldiers on Saturday, reports AFP news agency.
The military accused Somali soldiers of opening fire on a military convoy carrying Uganda’s peacekeeping commander which it said forced them to retaliate, AFP adds.
Uganda’s army spokesman Brig Richard Karemire told Reuters news agency that the soldiers had been blocked at a checkpoint en route to their base after providing medical assistance to people injured in Saturday’s twin bomb attack that killed 38 people.
He added that there was an ongoing investigation but said that the Amisom rules of engagement allowed its soldiers to respond with fire when attacked.
However, AFP adds, Somali security official, Mohamed Ali, blamed Amisom for the incident saying that Somali soldiers had a right to stop their convoy after a lockdown was imposed in the city.