Monday, December 14, 2015
Egyptian Prime Minster Sherif Ismail (right) went to the scene after the crash (file photo)
Egyptian investigators say they have so far found no proof that terrorism caused a Russian jet to crash in the Sinai in October, killing 224 people.
The plane came down en route to Russia from the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.
A group linked to so-called Islamic State (IS) said it bombed the plane. Nearly all the victims were Russians.
Russia has said a bomb brought down the Metrojet Airbus, after finding what it said were “traces of foreign explosives” on the debris.
It has vowed to “find and punish” the perpetrators.
However, the head of the Egyptian committee investigating the crash, Ayman al-Muqaddim, was quoted by state TV on Monday as saying there was “no evidence that there is an act of terror or illegal intervention”.
IS-affiliate Sinai Province said it had destroyed the plane because of Russian air strikes on Syria.