Two TV journalists injured in a bomb explosion in central Somalia

122

MOGADISHU, Somalia 27 June, 2022 – Somali Journalists Syndicate (SJS) and the Somali Media Association (SOMA) condemn the bomb attack that has injured two journalists in central Somalia early on Monday.

According to official sources, Abdikarin Mohamed Siyad and Khalid Mohamud Osman who work for Hirshabelle State-owned television were travelling with a convoy of government and military officials from Beledweyne to Mataban in Hiiraan region when their vehicle was hit with a landmine at Qabno locality. The two journalists were injured with one of them remaining in critical condition. State media reported that at least three people were killed in the attack including Abdirahman Adow, the driver of the journalists’ vehicle.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

Abdikarin and Khalid had been covering the ongoing Somali military operation against al-Shabaab in the region. Al-Shabaab had recently conducted attacks on Mataban town which is about 75km from Beledweyne, the region’s capital.

Journalist Khalid Mohamud Osman injured in the bomb attack that took place in Hiiraan region, central Somalia on Monday 27 June, 2022. | PHOTO/SOMA/Courtesy.
The remnants of the journalists’ vehicle after it was hit by a landmine on Monday, 27 June, 2022. | PHOTO/SOMA/Courtesy.

SJS and SOMA strongly condemn the heinous attack targeting the journalists’ vehicle. Journalists are independent observers and all warring sides should know that, under international humanitarian law, it is unlawful to target journalists and media crew and therefore should ensure their safety and security. We pray for speedy recovery of the two colleagues.

“We are shocked to learn the bomb attack on the journalists’ vehicle in Qabno locality, central Somalia today. Journalists Abdikarin Mohamed Siyad and Khalid Mohamud Osman who work for Hirshabelle State-owned television were wounded. They are currently receiving medical attention. We condemn this unjustified attack against the journalists’ vehicle,” Abdalle Ahmed Mumin, the Secretary-General of Somali Journalists Syndicate (SJS) said “The warring parties in Somalia should know that journalists are protected under international humanitarian law against direct attacks. We call for Hirshabelle authorities to investigate this incident and bring the perpetrators to book.”

“We condemn in the strongest terms possible in the attack on the Hirshabelle TV journalists on Monday. They were travelling to report about the ongoing military operation in Hiiraan region. They should not be attacked for doing their journalistic work. We pray for the quick recovery of both Abdikarin and Khalid,” Mohamed Osman Makaran, the Secretary-General of the Somali Media Association (SOMA) said.